My Kitchen Adventures

I love to cook and bake; learned from watching my momma for so many years!! Although I can never seem to make it like she did, I still keep trying! I figured I'd share my adventures in cooking and baking and now cake decorating! So, enjoy, try, comment and keep coming back for more!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Paula Dean's Crab Cakes


While I was in Madison this weekend, I decided to try to make crab cakes. Found a really good recipe on foodtv.com from Paula Dean. They were meaty, not a lot of filling - and everyone ate them, so they couldn't have been too bad! I overcooked a few of them, so watch the time and temp of the oil!

In case you are wondering, the shrimp on the plate were marinated in Italian dressing, garlic and a little cajun seasoning for a few hours then grilled. The pasta is Pesto sauce packet, steamed carrots & broc with whole wheat penne - both of which were my mom's creations..and very yummy creations at that!!

Crab Cakes

Ingredients

  • 1 pound crabmeat, picked free of shells
  • 1/3 cup crushed crackers (recommended: Ritz)
  • 3 green onions (green and white parts), finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Dash cayenne pepper
  • (I added about 1/2 tsp of Old Bay Seasoning, probably could have added a little more)
  • Flour, for dusting
  • 1/2 cup peanut oil (we used vegetable oil)
  • Favorite dipping sauce, for serving (we used cocktail and horseradish sauce)

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except for the flour and peanut oil. Shape into patties and dust with flour.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, carefully place crab cakes, in batches, in pan and fry until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip crab cakes and fry on other side until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Serve warm with preferred sauce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home